Lilypie

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

4.19.2010

A little bit about sleeping!

I was looking back through my blog posts with a friend who has a 4 month old because I was trying to recall Tessa's sleep habits. I have many times talked to friends when we were experiencing a set back from good sleeping routine i.e. "sleep regression" but I somehow didn't seem to post ANYTHING about it in my blogs! Maybe a subconscious way of forgetting it for the next round, or that little bit of you that doesn't admit that you have challenges as a parent...I don't know. So, for what it is worth when I go back to this and try to remember what happened the last time I did this Tessa had a sleep regression at 4 months, 8/9 months and now I think we're entering another at 17 months. They all were crazy hard for a few days to a few weeks, but then just went right back to normal again. Since this is my 3rd round of this I think I've learned to just do what it takes to get sleep for both parties and it will be gone before you know it!

My favorite "real life" resource has been http://www.askmoxie.com/. It always made me realize that MANY others have had the same exact experiences and you are not alone, nor is it anything you as a Mom have caused.

Here is an excerpt from her website that helps me feel o.k. when it comes to sleeping habits in kiddos....
"In general, I think sleep crutches of all sorts, from pacifiers to rocking to loveys, get a super-bad rap. No one has to bring their Mom along to college to nurse them to sleep. And so what if you have to sleep with a white noise machine? If it bugs you when you're 30 you can break the habit your own self, and leave your poor parents out of it. If sleep crutches are working for you as a family, then party on with them for as long as they work, and then figure out the next thing."

As you may have guessed Tessa is rocked to sleep with a cup of milk. We use blackout shades, white noise machine, and she has a lovey. I do have to remind myself some times that she will in her own time not want these things and be all grown up, so I just spend those hours of trying to get her to sleep or back to sleep enjoying her snuggles! :)

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Peytonn was the same way at her age. He had to be rocked to sleep with some milk and then I had to gently lay him down without waking him up. There were many frustrating nights with him. I remember laying on the floor next to his crib holding his hand while I was 8 months preggo with Bennett. Man it was fun trying to get myself up off the floor! :)

But I am glad to report that now he sleeps in his own bed and goes to sleep on his own. Eventually, Tessa will outgrow it and you will look back on these days wondering how you survived it all. Hang in there mama!! :)